Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Harmony of Humility

Humility is a word we like to skip over. It's not one that can easily be discussed without it rearing itself in our face. The more we talk about it, dissect it, attempt it, the more we see how truly humble we are not! At least that's the way I've experienced it. Today I came away with a new visual - one that may help in this area.
  • 1 Peter 5:5-7
    5 Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. [emphasis mine]
As I sat down to dinner (alone) last night I continued to read Hope Again, by C.R. Swindoll. In this next chapter he really hits hard on the word humility. The thing that jumped out at me -from the Scripture - is the “how” of being truly humbled. I see it in four small words, “under God’s mighty hand.” Here are my attempted thoughts on it.

That phrase brought a word picture to mind for me, that of an orchestra conductor, directing the musicians in their music under his mighty hand. Wherever his hand leads, the musicians follow closely, keeping an eye on their music (their part) with a closer eye on the Master Conductor. If they take their eyes off him and decide to play something other than their part – it will change the overall sound of the music and may in fact ruin what was planned. They must be willing to follow his hand no matter what. He may (like God's Spirit) hold a note a fraction longer than the music says to do. Or he may 'crescendo' the music greater and longer than written. His hand is what they must watch.

That must be how I can learn the 'harmony of humility' in my own life. I must practice and do my part (what’s expected of me) yet at the same time I must follow Jesus (closely) and never try to step out and lead on my own. That would prove disaster and He would not get (nor want for that matter) the glory for it.

As we desire 'to be humbled' under God's mighty hand, let's remember that when the conductor leads with his hand, and we follow it, the harmony will be like no other.

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: