Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Thursday, January 3, 2008

Consumed!

When I was a child I spent hours playing "school" - even if it was just me and my dolls. I was always the "teacher" and gave out assignments, grading papers, often placing gold stars on the work of those [dolls] who obeyed what I had asked them to do. Some dolls were very cooperative - while others were not.

As I opened one of my Bible study lessons this morning - the title for today was "Sowing Lessons". I laughed to myself because I remembered a later time - the second year after I was married.... before children.... just after moving into the new home that Bob and I had built. I offered four friends to come to my home where I would teach them to sew. I loved to sew. My grandmother sewed, my mother and sister all sewed, and that love fell on me as well. Each of the four friends wanted desperately to learn how to sew. They each bought a sewing machine, purchased materials and all the necessary equipment to make their projects. They came once a week to my home, with machines in tow and set forth on an adventure - trusting me with the end result - that one day they would know how to sew! (Heaven help them)!!

Before the "projects" got underway I took several weeks to go over with them the "how" and "why" of sewing. I did this with - you guessed it - tests!! I drilled them in "salvages edges, bias, darts, seam rippers, pinking sheers, every imaginable fabric, as well as how to thread the sewing machine and refill the bobbins. I had given "Sewing Lessons". Once they got the basics down -they went to work and began to sew.

I taught what I knew. I had learned by observing two of the best sewers I knew - my mother and my sister. I'm a visual learner - a hands on type. I wanted to teach the same way.

As I reflected on this today in Bible study, "Sowing Lessons", I realized how far the LORD has brought me. He turned my desire to give "Sewing Lessons" into "Sowing Lessons".
  • Luke 8:15 (NLT)
And the seeds that fell on the good soil represent honest, good-hearted people who hear God’s word, cling to it, and patiently produce [with perseverance] a huge harvest. [emphasis mine]

But today HE taught me once again that hearing His Word is not enough. I must obey it. When I do what the Word says to do - the harvest from my obedience overflows just like in the consuming fire of God's glory with the Israelites.
  • Leviticus 9:5-6,22-24 (NIV)
5 They took the things Moses commanded to the front of the Tent of Meeting, and the entire assembly came near and stood before the LORD. 6 Then Moses said, "This is what the LORD has commanded you to do, so that the glory of the LORD may appear to you."
22 Then Aaron lifted his hands toward the people and blessed them. And having sacrificed the sin offering, the burnt offering and the fellowship offering, he stepped down.
23 Moses and Aaron then went into the Tent of Meeting. When they came out, they blessed the people; and the glory of the LORD appeared to all the people. 24 Fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and the fat portions on the altar. And when all the people saw it, they shouted for joy and fell facedown. [emphasis mine]


I am consumed with a Holy God and His Word. May the "sowing lessons" of our lives today be the harvest of tomorrow!

Lesson One: Obedience is better than sacrifice! [1 Sam. 15:22]

May Jesus consume you with His love, grace and mercy today.
May you sow the Word of God deep in your heart,
and obey it...
bringing the overflowing joy
of a consuming God!

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: