Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Cut Down




I am reminded today about my own pruning. The evergreen tree that stands in the backyard has been losing many branches again. Some days I wake up and there are 4-5 fresh branches severed from the main trunk – all from the bottom of the tree. It dawned on me today that this is how God is relating His pruning in my life. Apparently there were branches that needed to go.

  • John 15:5-7

5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.

  • Isaiah 18:4-5

4 This is what the LORD says to me: "I will remain quiet and will look on from my dwelling place, like shimmering heat in the sunshine, like a cloud of dew in the heat of harvest."
5 For, before the harvest, when the blossom is gone and the flower becomes a ripening grape, He will cut off the shoots with pruning knives, and cut down and take away the spreading branches.

  • 2 Corinthians 7:5

Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God. [emphasis mine]

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: