Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Tuesday, May 20, 2008

DAY 40 in the Desert of Waiting


Each time I have taken a journey (usually 40-days) with the LORD - I know in advance that He has something profound to teach me. Mostly He teaches me about myself - my frailties - pride issues that need to go - things that may inhibit His kingdom purposes. So I prepare by bracing myself to let go of all He shows me. He did that and so much more these past 40 days. Today as the night comes to a close it is a bittersweet place I find myself. God has shown me so much (this time) about HIMSELF - and who HE is - how faithful HE is - how much HE loves me - that HE desires good for me and all those around me. He has shown me the results of obedience without compromise - and even how to recognize the simple tactic of the enemy to disguise "compromise" as the enemy tries to make us fall for it. I didn't fall for it this time - but I almost did. This time I recognized it right away and God showed me that my pattern could and would change because of that recognition. I said this "ending day" is bittersweet because I feel so wrapped in the Father's arms - so loved and so close to Him that it's a place I never want to leave. He has shown me that I never have to leave it - as long an I remain in Him (the true Vine). I desire to move forward - into tomorrow because I know whenever a journey ends a new one (of much promise) is about to begin. God has been holding out promises to me over these 40 days as I was still and rested in the Desert of Waiting. I dug deep into His Word and devoured it like the most delectable of foods! You might say I have a "sweet tooth" for God's Word! Tomorrow I will set my foot into another territory of my Promised Land here on earth. I may have to fight an enemy or two to take the land that has been given to me - but I know I am already more than a conqueror through Jesus Christ. Bring 'em on! "Enemy - you are under my feet. "

Hebrews 11:8-10
8 By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. 9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 10 For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God. [emphasis added]

Now I know why- when I spoke at Bob's celebration service - I called my God - "the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob" (a phrase I had never in my life used before). It was because God put that phrase on my lips that day. It would be a year an a half later when He would show me why. It is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob whom I have encountered personally and intimately through this journey. I have engaged with Him and He with me. Is it any wonder that He is a God of wonders? Don't ever let me lose my "wonder" of You, LORD!

Give me FAITH to Believe - and a heart to RECEIVE! I'm ready! Bring it all on!

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: