Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Monday, September 29, 2008

When the Mighty Waters Rise


Yesterday as I was preparing to leave for church I turned on the dishwasher to run a load through. Just before walking out the door I noticed some water on the floor and then realized that the water sound coming from inside the dishwasher had an added hissing sound that was not usual. I am so thankful that God gave me an ear to notice when things aren't quite right. I grabbed a towel but the water kept coming. I ran downstairs to my finished basement only to find the ceiling tiles on the floor and water pouring down the walls like a waterfall. I tried turning off the dishwasher - nothing. Then tried turning off the water cut-off under the sink - nothing. By this time there is water covering the kitchen floor. Finally I shut off the breaker to the water pump - but the water did not stop until all the water was drained from the water heater and the water tank of the pump. Gallons and gallons were overtaking me. I cried out to the LORD and kept saying part of the verse as I remembered it from Psalm 32, "when the mighty waters rise they will not overtake me..." - LORD, please go before me and help me know who to call and how to proceed for help.

Psalm 69
For the director of music.
To the tune of "Lilies." Of David.
1 Save me, O God,
for the waters have come up to my neck.
2 I sink in the miry depths,
where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
the floods engulf me.
3 I am worn out calling for help;
my throat is parched.
My eyes fail,
looking for my God.
Psalm 32
6 Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to You while You may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him. 7 You are my hiding place; You will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah

Isaiah 51
1 "Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness and who seek the LORD : Look to the rock from which you were cut and to the quarry from which you were hewn;
2 look to Abraham, your father, and to Sarah, who gave you birth. When I called him he was but one, and I blessed him and made him many.
3 The LORD will surely comfort Zion and will look with compassion on all her ruins; He will make her deserts like Eden, her wastelands like the garden of the LORD. Joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the sound of singing.

Psalm 32
6 Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to You while You may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him.
7 You are my hiding place; You will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah

Psalm 29
9 The voice of the LORD twists the oaks and strips the forests bare. And in His temple all cry, "Glory!"
10 The LORD sits enthroned over the flood; the LORD is enthroned as King forever.
11 The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace.

God was faithful. He was in complete control. On a Sunday morning I was able to reach my home owners insurance company right away with a live person calling me back. Through tears I was able to relay what had happened and she walked me through what to do. Then my phone rang and a friend had called to ask a question about Bible study. She heard my tearful voice and asked what was wrong. "Stephanie, don't you remember when my kitchen was flooded and I went through the same thing a few months ago. I can help you. Let me make some calls." Within minutes she made the calls and the men came from the Emergency Fire and Water Restoration Co. I didn't even know such a company existed. The culprit was a hot water hose connection under the dishwasher that had burst. A friend came and changed that out and I had water back on. Now the restoration begins. There are machines everywhere in my basement and kitchen to dry out the floors and ceilings.

It could have been so much more of a disaster - had I left for church and not noticed the water on the floor or heard that unusual sound. But God had His eye on all of it. He took me through yesterday and He will take me through every day of my life - not matter what comes! He is faithful! I praise Him! He promises to take us through!

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie
[Led Home by the Shepherd]

No comments: