Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Out With the Old - In With the New


This morning our family was trying to explain to my 3 1/2 year old grandson about New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. We explained that today is Day #365 - the last day of the year - and tomorrow would begin Day 1 - all over again for a brand new year. Needless to say, I don't think he quite grasped it! But that's OK.

As the last day of the year is almost completed and a new year stands at the threshold of a new horizon - God is making all things NEW! A New Beginning! Every day God gives us new beginnings because His mercies are new every morning; great is His faithfulness! [Lamentations 3:23]

Leviticus 26 (selected)
9 " 'I will look on you with favor and make you fruitful and increase your numbers, and I will keep My covenant with you. 10 You will still be eating last year's harvest when you will have to move it out to make room for the new. 11 I will put My dwelling place among you, and I will not abhor you. 12 I will walk among you and be your God, and you will be My people. 13 I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt so that you would no longer be slaves to the Egyptians; I broke the bars of your yoke and enabled you to walk with heads held high. [emphasis added]

Look at the promises of this passage!! Wow - it says we'll still be eating last year's harvest when we will have to move it out to make room for the new! That's a promise I want to take hold of! Was this promise just for Israel - just for Abraham? No, it was for all - all who belong to Christ are the seed of Abraham.

Galatians 3:26-29
Sons of God
26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. [emphasis added]

This is a difficult night for many people - especially those who have lost a loved one recently. The last day of the year tends to be one we want to hold onto - so that we won't let go of the memories that we cherish. Yet at the same time - as the New Year dawns - there is freedom to go on - freedom to be all that God desires us to be. My prayer is that you allow God to teach you how to embrace both. The memories and the new frontier that awaits you. I will do the same.

Looking Upward and Choosing JOY,

Stephanie
[Joy to the World]

No comments: