Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Wednesday, May 19, 2010

EYESSET - Are Yours?

Hebrews 12 [NIV]
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

And then....go out and........

1 Corinthians 13 [Phillips translation]
Christian love - the highest and best gift
If I speak with the eloquence of men and of angels, but have no love, I become no more than blaring brass or crashing cymbal. If I have the gift of foretelling the future and hold in my mind not only all human knowledge but the very secrets of God, and if I also have that absolute faith which can move mountains, but have no love, I amount to nothing at all. If I dispose of all that I possess, yes, even if I give my own body to be burned, but have no love, I achieve precisely nothing. This love of which I speak is slow to lose patience - it looks for a way of being constructive. It is not possessive: it is neither anxious to impress nor does it cherish inflated ideas of its own importance. Love has good manners and does not pursue selfish advantage. It is not touchy. It does not keep account of evil or gloat over the wickedness of other people. On the contrary, it is glad with all good men when truth prevails. Love knows no limit to its endurance, no end to its trust, no fading of its hope; it can outlast anything. It is, in fact, the one thing that still stands when all else has fallen.


All gifts
except love
will be superseded one day

For if there are prophecies they will be fulfilled and done with, if there are "tongues" the need for them will disappear, if there is knowledge it will be swallowed up in truth. For our knowledge is always incomplete and our prophecy is always incomplete, and when the complete comes, that is the end of the incomplete. When I was a little child I talked and felt and thought like a little child. Now that I am a man my childish speech and feeling and thought have no further significance for me. At present we are men looking at puzzling reflections in a mirror. The time will come when we shall see reality whole and face to face! At present all I know is a little fraction of the truth, but the time will come when I shall know it as fully as God now knows me! In this life we have three great lasting qualities - faith, hope and love. But the greatest of them is love.

After reading this passage from 1 Corinthians 13 this morning as quoted in a book I'm reading a second time called:
A Treasury of God's Virtues
I was posting a comment on my friend Beth's blog and up popped these letters before I could send my comment. Usually those letters make no sense and you're lucky if you can even read the letters at all. But this was a clear picture of what God wanted me to know for today. I hope God speaks to your heart today through it - as He did mine. Let's 'fix our eyes on JESUS' first - and then seek to clothe ourselves in the same LOVE that He wears!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie

8 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

I love when things like this just pop up! You know it's the little things that God uses to let us know where He wants our hearts and minds to be today.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Yolanda said...

Having our eyes set, shew-ee, that was a good lesson!!

Love you

Beth Herring said...

awesome.. I needed that little reminder today. been kinda neglecting some things lately and this was what I needed to get that little push from the Holy Spirit to get my 'eyes set' back where they need to be!!

Thank you Stephanie and thank YOU sweet Jesus!

Surprised By Joy! said...

Thanks for sharing. Asking God to help me "walk in His Love" :)

Blessings,
Tammy

Camille said...

A beautiful post once again Stephanie! May the LORD help us all to have our eyes focused on HIM day by day. AND...I continually need to be reminded to LIVE I Corinthians 13...with HIS help all these things are possible.

Blessings,
Camille

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

Oh my word!!!!! This would so happen to you!!! Love it & love you friend!!!
Wylie

LisaShaw said...

Hi Stephanie,

Love your blog changes.

A powerful message you shared. Love it when GOD sets something before us that without a doubt we know HE is speaking to us.

Secondly, thank you so very much for the beautiful prayer card I received in the mail. May the LORD bless your heart abundantly as He used you to bless mine.

Blessings and peace!

prashant said...

it's the little things that God uses to let us know where He wants our hearts and minds to be today.
Banner Advertising Network India