Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Let Freedom Reign

Usually we hear the phrase, "Let freedom ring"... but as I typed the title of today's Blog I typed the word "reign" - not by mistake but because of what the LORD showed me today.

As I began my day - I was putting in an exercise tape into the VCR (pretty soon you won't know what that is) and on the television was the beginning of the Philadelphia Parade on Independence Hall. I stopped to listen to the black Pastor who was from Christ Church in the city. As he prayed I thanked God for the boldness of this man to stand before men and women and say things like: "Let us never forget the God who created us and brought us the freedoms we enjoy. The God who called all nations... to a purpose that was His original plan. May we remember the founding fathers who depended on God to institute the truths we now take for granted." [I am paraphrasing what I recall]

There was so much more that he prayed. As I looked at the crowd being scanned by the cameras I could not help but ask myself... How much longer will we enjoy this freedom of speech to talk about God, the Creator of the Universe? That same Pastor mentioned God (several times) - as "the Creator of all mankind". The crowd appeared very respectful of hearing the words that were being uttered allowed to God. How much longer will there be tolerance for those who identify themselves as Christians?

About an hour later there was another man who prayed with the same boldness... and I could not help but thank our God - that He is still Sovereign - He is still in control - and He still knows the beginning from the end. I could not help but be reminded of Daniel...

  • Daniel 2:19b-21
Then Daniel praised the God of heaven 20 and said:"Praise be to the Name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are His.
21 He changes times and seasons; He sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.


  • Daniel 6: 25-26

25 Then King Darius wrote to all the peoples, nations and men of every language throughout the land: "May you prosper greatly!
26 "I issue a decree that in every part of my kingdom people must fear and reverence the God of Daniel. "For He is the living God and He endures forever; His kingdom will not be destroyed, His dominion will never end. [emphasis mine]

LET FREEDOM REIGN - as we allow the God of heaven to rule and reign in our hearts!

Happy Independence Day, America (231 years)!

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: