Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Friday, August 17, 2007

Painful Pruning

I am here in FL taking care of two of my grandchildren while my daughter, Becky is on a medical missions trip to Guatemala. Today was the first day I had the kids all day by myself (ages one and two) - so you can imagine how my hands were full. We had a great day all the way around and they were two little angels for Mom-Mom.

After dinner tonight my son-on-law, Rob, went out to cut the grass. Drew (the 2-year old) took his little lawn mower out too. Tessa, the 1-year old was eating grass and mulch and whatever else she could put in her mouth.

Rob asked me if I would be willing to prune some of their flowering bushes in the front of the house. He knows how I love gardening and some of them were overtaking the rest of the shrubs.
I got the clippers and took one look at these beautiful flowers. I swallowed hard. They are in full bloom with gorgeous blue/purple flowers all over. I began to prune with the heavy shears. UGH! At one point Rob yelled over to me, "Go deeper - prune them back more."

Then it hit me... It is just like with God. Just when we are in full bloom (or think we are ) - He prunes us back so severely that we look like ragga muffins. It killed me to prune those bushes taking off many of their lovely blooms - but I know in the end it will produce even more beautiful ones. Just like with God - I trust that His pruning in my life right now will bring forth even more fruit. I have to believe and trust that of Him - since the pain of this pruning hurts so much.

This brings me back to a very important passage of scripture that the LORD has been showing over and over (I wonder why).

  • John 15:1-5
    The Vine and the Branches 1"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit He prunes
    so that it will be even more fruitful. 3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me.
    5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing. [emphasis mine]

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: