Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Tongue

After facilitating a Believing God (Beth Moore) 10-week Bible study this summer I said to the girls on the last night, "Now that we are Believing God, be cautious because satan is going to come after each one of us with a vengeance." I told then, "It could be on your way home, tomorrow morning or even a week or a month from now - but he is coming after us." I warned them (and me) that he would come in an unexpected manner and blind side us (me). He did just that...only two days later.

Have you ever said something to someone that you wish you could take right back because when the words ran out of your mouth you realized the negative affect it would have? That is how satan came after me. I allowed my tongue and my mouth to react to a frustrating situation last Sat. and the repercussions are still ringing loudly.

I have spent much time on my knees over this - in prayer - and reading everything from God's Word that is said about the tongue, the mouth, wisdom and peacemaking .

Here are a few that I found. I am meditating on all of them and praying that God can turn this around for GOOD and heal it. It's one of those things that is impossible to "make right". Only GOD can do that. All I can do is plead for forgiveness and allow God to heal the wounds I inflicted.
  • Psalm 39:1
I said, "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence."
  • Proverbs 12:18
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
  • James 1:26

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

  • James 3:17
But wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness

If only I had put a muzzle on it. If only I had shown grace and mercy. But "if only" is only in fairy tales. That's the thing about the tongue - the "if only's" always come too late.

I don't like sharing my faults with all of you - but if it helps someone else NOT to make the same mistake that I did - it is worth it. Please pray for me.

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: