Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Ever 'Pulled a Hagar'?

Have you ever "pulled a Hagar"? It will help you to read the story of Abram and Sarai (better known as Abraham and Sarah) .... and I'll explain.
  • Genesis 16
    Hagar and Ishmael
1 Now Sarai, Abram's wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian maidservant named Hagar; 2 so she said to Abram, "The LORD has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my maidservant; perhaps I can build a family through her."Abram agreed to what Sarai said. 3 So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian maidservant Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife. 4 He slept with Hagar, and she conceived. When she knew she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress. 5 Then Sarai said to Abram, "You are responsible [blame] for the wrong I am suffering. I put my servant in your arms, and now that she knows she is pregnant, she despises me. May the LORD judge between you and me." [emphasis mine}

Pulling a "Hagar" is exactly what Sarai (Sarah) did and Abram (Abraham) went along with it. They knew full well the promise that God had given - that THEY would receive the Promise from God for a child. Problem: they were not patient in waiting for that promise so they thought they'd help God along (we always think too much). They thought their circumstances (old age - past child-bearing years, etc.) would hinder God from fulfilling what He had promised. So (like me, we and the rest of the world) we think that we need to help God with His plans. Thus - we "pull a Hagar"!

What a mess it makes. People get hurt, we regret that choice the moment we make it (but it's often too late), then like Sarai and Abram we begin blaming another person, and then we get in trouble with God for our lack of faith! Talk about trying to do it our way - instead of God's way.

That's "pulling a Hagar."

Yesterday I was reading that very scripture when I was faced with just such a situation in my own life. I recognized this and now have to make a choice - whether to 'pull a Hagar' or wait for what I KNOW God has promised in my life. I think I'll let God do it His way - even if I have no idea how He will accomplish that end. It's not always an easy choice. But that's what FAITH is all about.
  • Hebrews 11:1
    By Faith
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. [emphasis mine]

How about you? Ever 'pulled Hagar' of your own? It could be in any situation... relationships, marriage, children, career, job, home, church, school? Got any to share?

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: