Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Thursday, March 20, 2008

Feasting on the Word


My friend, Darlene, is known for all her great dessert recipes that have been passed around for the last 27 years or so. If you have a sweet tooth like me, you scout out for the best. As I look back in my old recipe book collection, I have found that most of our family favorites have come from Darlene. One of our family favorites is Peaches 'n Cream Cheese Pie.

Today as I was reading God's word along with a workbook study on prayer, I came across this quote:
There are three stages of Bible reading (1) the cod liver old stage when you take it like medicine; (2) the shredded wheat stage when it's nourishing but dry; and (3) the peaches and cream stage when it is consumed with passion and pleasure.
~ Albert M. Wells ~

All I could think of was that Peaches 'n Cheese Cream Pie! That's the stage that I'm in - consuming God's word with passion and pleasure. This has been busy week in my home because of the celebration funeral service for my father-in-law, as well as all the family that is staying here. My entire routine has been shifted. Today I was able to sneak in my Bible study time when no one was around. I crave God's Word so much that when I finally dug into it today - it was like eating half that pie!
I recalled a memory of more than a year and a half ago when God had me studying the Old Testament, one book at a time, in a very short time frame. But I couldn't get enough of it. I remember reading and devouring all of Deuteronomy (all 34 chapters) in one day. It was like being at the movies with pop-corn and candy. I couldn't wait to see what happened next as I turned the pages of those chapters and took it all in. God's Holy Spirit revealed the Word to me with new understanding and revelation that God was using to apply to my heart and life. That pattern of reading became my way of life. I wonder why?

Psalm 1:2-3

2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.
Psalm 63:1-2

1 O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You;
my soul thirsts for You, my body longs for You,
in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
2 I have seen You in the sanctuary and beheld Your power and Your glory.
3 Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.

Deuteronomy 7:11-12

11 Therefore, take care to follow the commands, decrees and laws I give you today.
12 If you pay attention to these laws and are careful to follow them, then the LORD your God will keep His covenant of love with you, as He swore to your forefathers.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

May you consume and feast on His Word like that Peaches 'n Cream Cheese Pie!

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: