Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Work of Prayer


I am so encouraged by reading and praying from The Valley of Vision - A Collection of Puritan Prayers each night since last November. These prayers were originally inspired by the Holy Spirit and are all taken from many passages of scripture. Here is just a portion of one of the prayers from this week.

Can you identify what scriptures they come from?

Living By Prayer
The Valley of Vision
– Puritan Prayer Journal

Let me know that the work of prayer is to bring
my will to Thine,
and without this it is folly to pray.

I can only succeed when I pray according to Thy
precept and promise
, and to be done with as it
pleases Thee, according to Thy Sovereign will.


When Thou commandest me to pray for
pardon, peace, brokenness,
it is because Thou wilt give me the thing promised,
for Thy glory, as well as for my good.


Help me not only to desire small things
but with holy boldness to desire great things
for Thy people, for myself,
that they and I might live to show Thy glory. [emphasis mine]


Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: