Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Who Are You?



When I was in the shower this morning I began thinking about all the ways we identify ourselves when we meet new people. Or perhaps we run into someone who knows another person that we know - so in order to make a connection - we identify ourselves with someone else. Put yourself in my place and think about how you presently identify yourself.


Here's my list:
  • I'm Bob's widow
  • I'm Becky, Amy and Jeff's Mom
  • I'm Justin, Ethan, Drew, Tessa and Jyden's "Mom-Mom"
  • I'm JoAnn's High School Friend
  • I'm RenĂ©e's neighbor
  • I'm Terri's friend
  • I'm Allison's mentor
  • I'm Polly's sister
  • I'm Kay and Paul's daughter
  • I'm Emma & Hugo's granddaughter
  • I'm a Bible study teacher
  • I'm a Motivational Speaker
  • I'm a Worship Team member
  • I'm a singer (harmony only) ;-)
  • I'm a sewer
  • I'm a photographer
  • I'm an athlete (in my dreams and in my past) ha!

Those are just a few names I might use to identify myself presently. Here are some ways that might identify who I was - from my past.

I USED TO BE:

  • The Owner of "Sugar Barrel" (for 16 years)
  • The Craft lady (as called by some)
  • An Antique Dealer
  • A Furniture Saleswoman
  • A Bridal consultant
  • A Paraprofessional Chiropractic Assistant
  • An Athlete (see it fits much better in the past) UGH!
  • A room mother for my kids
  • A coach
  • A Stained Glass Artist
  • A aspiring novelist
  • A runner (I hated every minute of it)

Did you identify with any of those? The truth of the matter is that no matter who I used to be or who I am now - my true identity is found in Jesus Christ alone!

  • I am a sinner - saved by God's grace (Ephsians 2:8-9)
  • I am forgiven by God through Jesus' shed blood
  • I am identified with Christ because I received His gift of new life
  • I am no longer condemned (Rom. 8:1)
  • I am a child of the King
  • I am an heir to God's kingdom and all the benefits thereof

2 Corinthians 5:16-17

16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: [emphasis mine]

Galatians 6:14-15

14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation. [emphasis mine]

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: