Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Thursday, October 18, 2007

Awaiting His Presence

  • Isaiah 55:8-9

8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways," declares the LORD.
9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.


Yesterday... turned out to be quite a different day than we had all anticipated. I taught a Bible study in the afternoon in another's home and had expected to find my daughter and her whole family to have arrived from Florida - waiting for me when I returned to my house that afternoon. The only one there was my son-in-law, Rob.

My grandson, Drew, had gotten terribly ill in the airport when they arrived - throwing up all over so much that they had to throw away his clothes and even some of Rob's clothes that he was wearing. Becky and Rob are missionaries and were coming in to speak at my church on Sunday - as well as be home for the celebration of the 1 year marker of Bob's home going to glory. Becky had to turn around and drive home with the kids while Rob boarded the plane for NJ without any of them.

All week I have written about how God had brought me to a place of worship with Him - like I have never known. With that phone call I didn't feel much like worship.

When I got the call just before leaving to teach that Bible study... the Lord spoke to my heart saying, "Just this morning you were praising Me for the promise of GOOD in your life. Did I change after that phone call? Am I still good? Do I still promise good to you, Stephanie? Do you still believe I AM WHO I say I AM?"

I answered, "You are still Good, Lord. Nothing has changed. I am very disappointed that they will not be here with me - but You already know that. And yes, LORD, You are still good, and You have still promised good to me."

Lastly, the Lord spoke again to my heart, "Will you still worship Me as you have all week?

At that moment I realized that true worship of Jesus Christ rests on Him alone and has nothing to do with the circumstances in my life or my feelings which change moment by moment. So... I ran to the Word - the only place I know for healing and comfort.

The Lord had given me a new song (Jeremy Camp CD - STAY) the day before which sing these words:

I Still Believe

I've never felt so torn before , seems I don't know where to start.

But it's now... that I feel , Your grace fall like rain,

From every fingertip, washing away my pain.

'Cause I still believe in Your faithfulness.

I still believe in Your truth.

I still believe in Your Holy Word.

Even when I don't see --- I still believe.

  • Isaiah 55:10-11

10 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is My Word that goes out from My mouth: It will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. [emphasis mine]

I still believe... You are Who You say You are... and I will still worship You alone!

And Lord? Thanks for wiping my tears with Your fingertip!

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: