Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Work in Progress

I have been studying the life of David since the day after Christmas last year. Every time I finish one area of study on him - the Lord brings another. I have observed often how necessary it is for me to see the relationship that David had with God (the good and the bad parts) in order to see Christ in my own life more clearly.

I have been challenged this week to ask myself this question. What is it that hinders me from that pure and intimate relationship that Christ so desires?

That poses a second question. What must be stripped away, pruned back severely in my life so that I see, hear and feel nothing by HIM?

The thing about David is that he did not become the King over Israel in an instant - not even in a decade. Why? Because he was a work in progress. God had many things to teach David - about life - about the Kingdom - about his enemies - about God Himself - about prayer - and especially about David's own weaknesses. That takes time.

I keep coming back to this one passage that David wrote. This is actually the 2nd time in the same Psalm that he says these words. He begins with them too.
  • Psalm 62:5-8
5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge. Selah [emphasis mine]


I thought about how early in life God called and anointed David to be King - yet it was years before he actually took that position. Again, he was a work in progress with much to learn.

Beth Moore points this out in her study guide, A Heart Like His:

"We often want to be called of God, then ushered painlessly into a position of service and honor, miraculously possessing the character our callings require.... God often works the same sequence in us that He worked in David:

1. He calls us.
2. He prepares us.
3. He uses us.
4. He prepares us some more.
5. He uses us some more.

... He will continue to work in us until we see His face, because that's the ultimate moment for which He's preparing!"

God says David was a man after God's own heart - yet we see him fail miserably in life many times. Sound familiar? It sure does in my life. Until we see His shining face - we are a work in progress. I want to enjoy Him on the journey and trust Him through it!

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

No comments: