Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Sunday, October 31, 2010

PRINCESS WARRIOR

GUEST POST
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Princess Warrior
by D.J. Hughes © 2010

One of my daughter’s favorite movies is “The Princess Diaries.” In the film, an average American teen discovers that she is the heir to a royal throne – a kingdom currently being ruled by a long-lost relative. Beneath her frizzy hair and clunky glasses, this young girl is really a princess, complete with castle and crown.

The movie was a major box-office success as it struck a chord with nearly every girl’s secret wish: to be a princess. So what does it mean to be a princess?

Simply put, a princess is someone born to prominent parents. And the perks of being a princess are palatial. Besides expensive clothes and designer purses, a princess typically doesn’t have to work very hard at anything – except being pretty – and even that probably comes easily. And that’s to say nothing of the inherent fairy-tale love story wherein a prince rescues the fair maiden from some mild form of distress – such as taking a seriously long nap – as in the case of Sleeping Beauty.

Being a princess – what’s not to love? It’s easy luxury. But on this earth, it’s reserved exclusively for the elite. Thankfully, such an elite status does not exist in God’s Kingdom, for Jesus spoke of His Father’s open invitation. Everyone, rich or poor, are invited to dine at His heavenly banquet (Luke 14:15-24).

In Scripture, anyone who has surrendered her life to Christ is a daughter of the King. Thus, by virtue of His Kingship and our adoption, then we too can call ourselves a princess in a very real, spiritual sense. We are joint heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17).

Despite this truth, the word princess bears such pansy-like connotations that I am reluctant to consider myself one. I much prefer the metaphor of spiritual warrior to that of spiritual princess. I would rather see myself as strong and capable and independent. Yet, this desire for self-sufficiency can, if taken to an extreme, become a stumbling block. As a follower of Christ, I must beware of falling prey to the kind of secular mindset that says I can be the master of my own domain – that I can, with enough hard work, control my own destiny.

This way of thinking negates the cross. No matter how self-sufficient any of us become in our own estimation, we will always need a Savior.

Our need to be rescued is a very real one. But it is a deeply spiritual need. The enemy knows this, so he tries to distort our desires and then deceive us into believing that another person could be the solution to our innermost problem; hence, that a man could rescue a hapless princess or a damsel in distress. But only God can rescue, redeem, and restore. This is why Jesus came.

But when Jesus came to this earth the first time, He did not meet the standard expectations of a King. Rather, He rode a donkey and washed people’s feet. The Son of
Man came, not to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

(Matthew 28:20). Likewise, if we are born again, then our true calling as the King’s daughter is to serve. Being a servant, though, hardly resembles our idea of royalty.

For instance, even when a young Esther was suddenly catapulted to earthly princess status, her purpose lay beyond the posh and pampered lifestyle of the palace. She was called to serve her people – even at the risk of her own life.

Many of us today may not feel like a princess. We can look around us and see lots of other people enjoying fancier homes and more elaborate lifestyles. In some ways, being a princess today is a little like the awkward girl in the Disney movie – out of place and very much alone – lost and unsure in this world about who we are. But when we surrender our lives to Christ, He lavishes his great mercy upon us. He removes every stain and wrinkle (Ephesians 5:27). He exchanges our ashes for his beauty (Isaiah 61:4). Instead of designer clothes, we receive a garment of praise – instead of a tiara, a crown of life.

As members of this sisterhood of princesses, we must represent a Kingdom altogether different than the one Hollywood typically portrays. We must clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience (Colossians 3:12). And instead of being waited upon, we must serve with the same attitude of Christ, who did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness (Philippians 2:6-7).

Taking the very nature of a servant. That is the call.

But one day the trumpet will sound. Scripture promises that Jesus will come again, only this time He will be riding on a white horse (Revelation 19:11). And when He does, his followers will return with Him (Revelation 17:14), which means that being a princess and a warrior is not mutually exclusive; rather, in Christ, they are one and the same.

The End

D.J. Hughes is a daughter of the King. She grew up attending church, but when she was an awkward teenage girl herself, she met Christ in a very personal way. On a mountaintop at summer camp, the Word challenged her to know God deeply, and not be content with just about knowing information about Him. Today, she devotes her time to serving the people that God has placed in her life: her husband and three kids, her friends and church family, and those in her community. One of the ways she feels called to serve the Body of Christ is through writing and teaching the truths of God’s Word.
You may reach her at: www.thequietquill.blogspot.com

13 comments:

KrippledWarrior said...

Excellent post. Words full of power and truth. And just to let you know, I have never thought of myself as a princess either. But a warrior in every sense of the word.

Denise J. Hughes said...

KW: I just visited your website and read your story. Wow. You are a true warrior indeed.

Marsha Young said...

D.J.
You have turned out to be a beautiful warrior - and that is no contradiction in terms.

The world tells us that in order to prevail we must be "tough" - but that is not true. God teaches us to "be strong" in His power - which is very different from becoming tough. Great post. Marsha Y.

KrippledWarrior said...

I HAVE A CALL TO ARMS FOR PRAYER WARRIORS TODAY. YOUR ASSISTANCE IS NEEDED.

Beth Herring said...

Stephanie - thanks for allowing DJ to post here. I love her writing and have followed her for awhile!

This post was great DJ. So true. So eloquent. I loved the message as it spoke so loudly to my heart!

Denise J. Hughes said...

MY: I like the distinction you made between being "tough" and being "strong" in His power. Good thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Beth: Thank you. I am always blessed by your encouragement.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Stephanie... while reading this at my desk this morning, I look at the portrait hanging in front of me. A recent acquisition as I began this cancer fight. It's call "the bride prepares" by Chris Fields. Here's the link to take a look at it on line:

http://www.elijahshopper.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ART-CF002

Anyway, as I consider my princess status and my warrior one as well, this portrait seems a good "fit" for where my heart resides.

For what it's worth...

peace~elaine
PS: I received my precious card in the mail yesterday, along with a wonderful phone call from your friend. Thanks for making the connection between us. And, while awake most of the night, around 5:00 AM I said a special prayer for you. For God's presence to be rich upon you this day and for all of your needs to be supplied according to his riches in glory.

TRUTH SHARER said...

Elaine:

WOW!!! Thanks for the link to that picture! That scene remeinds me of the tomb of Jesus that I saw in Jerusalem.

This very post that Denise wrote about was laid heavy on my heart as well as hers. I believe that God is calling his 'church' - His very 'BRIDE' to ready themselves - preparing for His arrival. I believe that it will be sooner than any of us realize!

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us - in all that you are going through. I'm glad my friend reached out to you - and you can share your journey together. Thank you for praying for me too. God is faithful in all His Ways!

Heaps of Blessing for you today!
Stephanie

Camille said...

Lovely post. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I really appreciate the way you explained the "warrior", self-sufficient mindset can stand in the way of truly following the LORD...so true! Might we all have wisdom to know the LORD and follow HIM in HIS power and strength...we cannot do anything without HIM! :)

Blessings,
Camille

Denise J. Hughes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise J. Hughes said...

Elaine, I was so blessed by your words. Even as you battle cancer, you pray for others. That is a faith worth more than silver or gold! Please know that I am praying for you.

Camille, that is so true. We cannot do anything without Him. But with Him, all things are possible. Thank you for such kind words.

Anonymous said...

Wow what an amazing photo to go with an amazing post. Is this your photography? I have asked D.J. if I could also feature this guest post on my blog (Princess Warrior Lessons) and she has given me permission to do so.

Would I also be able to use this gorgeous photo and link back to your blog?

Please email at joprincesswarrior@gmail.com

Kind regards xoxo

B His Girl said...

I never saw this movie but I love your comparisons Stephanie. Yesterday I went to Chick Fil A for a sandwich. When they gave me my food I said 'thank you'. "My pleasure" the worker replied. It sounded so regal, like it was an honor for them to prepare a sandwich for me. I left thinking about serving God with that kind of attitude...doing whatever He wants and saying those words...My Pleasure Lord to serve you. Whether I need my slippers or my boots, I want to honor God in All things. Blessings, B