Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Mirror Mirror...

These next few days will be a bit more personal than usual as my family and I draw closer to that year marker of my husband, Bob's, passing into glory! With 9 days to go - God has been pouring down the rain of blessing each day.

Yesterday I had to take Bob's vehicle through Inspection here in NJ. For me - that has always been a traumatic thing - even though over all the years I can remember - we have never had a vehicle fail inspection. This year the Tahoe had a cracked mirror on the passenger side and I wondered if that would pass.

As I waited my turn in line I asked the Lord to "go before me". I asked the Lord to allow it to pass even with the crack - but then I said, "If it fails, help me in that too, that You would go before me and direct me in how to replace that mirror."

As I pulled into the first lane of the 4 lane garage I greeted the attendant and asked how his day was going. He replied in a gruff voice, "Terrible, and it's getting worse."

My heart took a back seat because it was only 11AM. He then proceeded to argue with two other men over who was taking their lunch first. The next thing I knew all three of them abandoned their station for lunch and I waited until a fourth man was pulled from another lane to inspect my vehicle. Needless to say the wait was very long. I sat on a bench talking to two other people. They left and I was alone in my seat. I prayed for the men who had been arguing. Then I asked the Lord to take away my anxiousness for my own vehicle and just give me the peace that He would go before me - no matter what the outcome.

After a half hour, it made it to the end when I heard the man clicking a paper punch. I realized at that moment that it did not pass - something. When I came around the man simple said, "Just your mirror lady, everything else passed, you just gotta get that cracked mirror replaced."

I had wanted this to be fixed and over - instantly - but it was not. As I climbed back in the Tahoe, I thanked the Lord for the rest of it "passing" and then asked Him once again to help me to find out how to get a replacement.

I asked a few people's advice and most said to call auto reclyclers for a cheaper part. I did that this morning 5 times- each one telling me the same story, "No, lady, we don't have one and you have to order a new one with the whole mirror (box and all). The cost is $100 or more."

Rather than getting upset, I stopped to pray once again, "Lord, this is not going as easily as I had hoped but I know you have it all worked out for my good. Please direct me and show me who to call next." I thumbed through the yellow pages once more and saw one with the name CROWN Auto. There was something about CROWN that stood out. When I called - a man told me that he could not even order it BUT... he advised me to call Mainland Plate Glass Co. nearby. I was quite familiar with them as we had used them for many glass needs over the years because Bob had worked around the corner from them and used them quite often for needs on his job. When I called a woman answered and pleasantly told me it would cost $30 and they would cut and install a new mirror on the old one. She said the inspection stations refer them there all the time for the same thing.

I jumped in the Tahoe and asked the Lord to go before me again - then I added that if there was anything I could do to share about Bob, that God would open the door for that.

A man greeted me at the door and asked what I needed. I showed him the mirror. "I was hoping you could fix this," I said.

"I'd love to fix that for you today, have a seat, it will take few minutes, " he said as he explained how he would do it. Fifteen minutes later he appeared with a new mirror. I told him it was hard to get off the vehicle and I was fearful of trying to hook it back on properly - to which he offered to do it for me (not his job). Done!

The lady who spoke with me over the phone came out to take my payment. I thanked her for taking the time to do such a small inexpensive job. Then I said, "You know, my husband, Bob came in here for the last 40 years to get work done and he always recommended you because of your price and your speed at doing the work." I thanked her again for all her help and told her how much all the other places wanted to charge. She smiled and slipped into the back room to complete my transaction. I thanked her again as she handed my the receipt. My car was parked right out front and as I got in and started the vehicle another older man came running out waving at me. I did not know him so I hesitated opening the window on the other side to see what he wanted but the Lord seemed to tell me it was OK.

"Is this the mirror we fixed for you?" he asked. I told him it was. "I knew your husband for many years. He was a good, kind man. I always liked him. I was sorry to hear about his passing last year," he said as tears welled up in his eyes (and mine).

I thanked him for taking the time to tell me that as we chit-chatted a bit longer. As I drove away the tears just poured down my face. I had wanted an "instant fix" yesterday which would have still left a broken mirror - but God wanted to fix the mirror and add a blessing to it! I needed to be reminded (today of all days) the kind man I had been married to for 34 years, a man of integrity, that followed him all the days of his life.

  • Titus 2:11-12
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to...live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope-- the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ... [emphasis mine]

The Grace of God taught Bob. He lived it - waited for it - and received it!

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tears welled up in MY eyes as I read this. Thanks for sharing it Steph.