Believing the Promises of God - in His Word

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed… Without weakening in his faith… Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. ~ Romans 4 [selected 18-21]



Sunday, July 27, 2008

Back to Basics


A few Sunday's ago, I wrote about the American flags that I counted on my ride to the church where I am teaching - how they reminded me of the 23rd Psalm. You may be asking how they are related? They are both basics of our faith in God and country. Every time I see an American flag now - I recite it or ponder the verses of that Psalm and all they mean.

Today my phone has rung off the hook since I got home from church. Some calls were precious and special - but many were about the needs of hurting people. As I came upstairs to write today's post I asked the LORD what HE wanted me to share. And (again) He brought me back to the basics. Here's the version [KJV] that most of us know from memory - BUT - let's look at it - in just a little more light! This is what He gave me - and somebody out there needs this TODAY!

The 23rd Psalm
1The LORD is my Shepherd;
[I have a Leader who loves & cares about me]
I shall not want.
[There is nothing He won't supply for me.]
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He allows me to rest in pleasant places when I need to]
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
[He takes me to a quiet place to replenish me]
3 He restoreth my soul:
[In His arms my soul is revived and restored]
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
[He guides me gently into His right paths]
for His name's sake.
[He does all this to bring glory to His Name]
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
[Even when my circumstance seem unbearable...]
I will fear no evil:
[They won't overtake me:]
for Thou art with me;
[When I allow Him to remain with me;]
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
[His shepherding "tools" of love - through His Word - will comfort my heart]
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
[He bids me 'come and dine' with Him - in the midst of my turmoil]
Thou anointest my head with oil;
[He pours Himself over me and fills me up]
my cup runneth over.
[His goodness to me overflows - onto others]
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
For certain - His goodness and compassion pursue me every day]
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
[and I have the JOY and PRIVILEGE of ETERNAL LIFE - FOREVER - IN HIS PRESENCE]

Choosing JOY,

Stephanie
[Trusting God's Heart]

No comments: